What is a Pre-Emergent Weed Treatment?
It is a weed treatment designed to stop seeds from germinating. Most lawn weeds in Central Texas are annuals or biannuals. Meaning, the weed survives one or two years and then dies. The weed needs to spread its seeds to ensure new plants develop every year.
This is exactly what a pre-emergent weed treatment targets – stopping the weed seeds from taking hold and thereby managing your weed problem. It is called a pre-emergent weed treatment because it manages the weeds before they emerge.
Why Should I Have YardDoc Pair Fertilization and Weed Control Service on my Lawn in the Spring and Fall?
There are several advantages to having your lawn fertilization service with YardDoc!
- Expertise in the Right Product for Your Area – You don’t have to concern yourself with figuring out what products are best for your lawn. If you go to your local garden supply store, you may see many, many different options. The experts at YardDoc know the right product to use for the various grass types and the most common weeds that we encounter in your area. We also know that several of the products marketed in stores will kill weeds. They will also, over time, add excessive salts to your soil that will ultimately harm your soil and lawn.
- Expertise in the Timing for Treatments – We know the right time to apply the treatments. So you don’t have to keep track of another schedule. Timing is key with pre-emergent weed control service!
- A Planned Treatment Schedule – We plan the treatments on a routine, thereby getting and staying on top of your weed problem and helping maintain a healthy lawn year after year.
- Effective Application – Our technicians know how much product to apply to be effective, and have the tools to deliver just that amount.
Can I Do One Pre-Emergent Weed Treatment?
Yes, one treatment will help. However, as weed seeds are continually blowing in from other properties, YardDoc recommends adopting a program of routine pre-emergent weed treatment in Spring and Fall.
Pre-emergent weed treatments are the most cost-effective way of managing weeds in your lawn.
YardDoc recommends Spring and Fall weed control services, as these are the two main germination times of Summer and Winter weeds. They are often different weed types, so they germinate at different times of the year and require weed treatment in their appropriate season.
What if Weeds Have Already Invaded my Lawn?
YardDoc technicians can assess the types of weeds that have established themselves in your lawn and then perform spot treatments to target them. Spot treatments focus on already existing weeds – post-emergent.
Generally, two spot treatments will get rid of established weeds. As mentioned, weed seeds are the cause of the weeds, so while targeting established weeds with spot treatments is a good practice, you want to stop new weed seeds from blowing in.
This is where the pre-emergent weed control service is so beneficial. YardDoc uses commercial-grade products that get right after the major weeds that attack our Texas lawns before they even get to the surface.
Getting Weed Growth Under Control Leads to a Healthier Lawn Long Term
In Central Texas, we deal with two main categories (types) of weeds – broadleaf weeds, and grassy weeds – and then a number of common weed types often associated with a particular type of grass.
Weeds are unwanted growths that create headaches for you, the homeowner, or the property manager. Left untreated, they can consume and take over the most attractive lawns, decreasing your curb appeal value. What happens is, the weed germination and growth compete with your healthy grass for sunlight, water, air, and essential nutrients. Infestation can become uncontrollable very quickly, so you must take action and include weed control service in your lawn care contract with YardDoc if you do not already have it.
YardDoc recommends two annual treatments – in the Spring and the Fall. The key is getting the timing right and getting ahead of the weed seed germination process. It is always our suggestion to water your lawn well after treatment, to ensure that the granules get deep into your soil.
Lawn Care Services
- Dog Waste Removal
- Sprinkler System Repair
- Tree Trimming and Care
- Weed Control
- Full Service Landscaping Design and Installation
Get in touch and we will come up with a pre-emergent weed control service plan to keep your lawn weeds under control.
Landscaping Service Area
YardDoc landscaping and lawn care service area involves all of Travis County including Austin, Barton Creek, Bee Cave, Cedar Park, Georgetown, Lakeway, Leander, Lost Creek, Pflugerville, Rollingwood, Round Rock, Spanish Oaks, Spicewood, Steiner Ranch, Tarrytown, and West Lake Hills.