Here are some easy mosquito control measures you can do at home. It’s important to be proactive as West Nile Virus is the most common mosquito-borne disease in the U.S. and has been an active concern across Travis County. Perform the following home maintenance tasks to discourage pests and remove items that invite or attract mosquitoes.
1. Drill holes in the bottoms of outdoor garbage and recycling containers to prevent water build-up.
2. Clean gutters and downspouts to prevent clogs and ensure they drain properly.
3. Clear away anything unnecessary in your yard that holds water, e.g., tires, plastic, garbage, and open storage containers.
4. Install window and door screens with a tight mesh and snug fit. Repair any gaps, holes, and tears.
5. Replace outside lights with yellow bulbs. This lamp color does not repel mosquitoes, but it doesn’t attract them as traditional incandescent bulbs do.
6. Put out citronella candles. While the effects are limited, they help enough to be worth your while.
7. Keep your pool cleaned regularly to prevent a mosquito egg hatchery.
8. Chlorinate, especially if you plan to travel and be away from home for a length of time.
9. Eliminate standing groundwater, even if it requires re-grading the yard, to eliminate breeding pools.
10. Treat ornamental ponds (ask us how) or stock them with mosquito-eating fish if you have enough water depth that winter freezes won’t kill them.
11. Maintain your yard to remove hiding places and safe retreats for mosquitoes and other pests. Yard care includes upkeep of your lawn, weeding the garden, and trimming the lower branches of bushes and trees.
12. Walk your property after a rain and look for standing water. Remove water from lids, wading pools, pottery, pot saucers, and anything else that holds water twice a week. If you have outdoor pet dishes, change the water every other day.
13. Avoid exercising or over-heating in mosquito-infested areas. Remember, they love your sweat.
Some mosquito control measures are ineffective or harmful.
In addition to try out the above mosquito control measures, YardDoc offers customized treatment plans for mosquito control that are as environmentally friendly as possible to include prevention, baiting, and fogging.
Contact us to schedule a free estimate for mosquito control services. Or check out our blog for other pest control tips.
Please leave your name and phone number, and we will get back to you as soon as possible.
Mon – Fri 7:00 am – 6:00 pm
Closed on New Years day, Memorial day, Independence day, Labor day,
Thanksgiving day, and Christmas day.