13 Tips for Getting Rid of Mosquitoes in Your Yard
1. Drill holes in the bottoms of outdoor garbage and recycling containers to prevent water build-up.
2. Clean gutters and downspouts to prevent clogs and ensure they drain properly.
3. Clear away anything unnecessary in your yard that holds water, e.g., tires, plastic, garbage, and open storage containers.
4. Install window and door screens with a tight mesh and snug fit. Repair any gaps, holes, and tears.
5. Replace outside lights with yellow bulbs. This lamp color does not repel mosquitoes, but it doesn't attract them as traditional incandescent bulbs do.
6. Put out citronella candles. While the effects are limited, they help enough to be worth your while.
7. Keep your pool cleaned regularly to prevent a mosquito egg hatchery.
8. Chlorinate, especially if you plan to travel and be away from home for a length of time.
9. Eliminate standing groundwater, even if it requires re-grading the yard, to eliminate breeding pools.
10. Aerate ornamental ponds to avoid stagnation or stock them with mosquito-eating fish.
11. Maintain your yard to remove hiding places and safe retreats for mosquitoes and other pests. Yard care includes upkeep of your lawn, weeding the garden, and trimming the lower branches of bushes and trees.
12. Walk your property after a rain and look for standing water. Remove water from lids, wading pools, pottery, pot saucers, and anything else that holds water twice a week. If you have outdoor pet dishes, change the water every other day.
13. Avoid exercising or over-heating in mosquito-infested areas. Remember, they love your sweat.
Avoid These Mosquito Control Measures
Some mosquito control measures are ineffective or harmful.
✅ Electric Zappers have a limited effect on tiny bugs like mosquitoes but draw in and kill beneficial insects like bees.
✅ Sonic Devices supposedly transmit sounds that scare off mosquitoes. All they really do is drain your wallet.
Professional Mosquito Control Services
YardDoc offers customized treatment plans for mosquito control that are as environmentally friendly as possible to include prevention, baiting, and fogging.
GET A FREE QUOTE